Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm just c&p'ing b/c I can't type it again right now

the appointment.
We had another fetal echo and met with the pediatric cardiologist, who then did a 2nd fetal echo to see everything for himself.
Dr. F (the pedi cardiologist) was great. We both really liked him and he took the time to talk to us about what he was/wasn't seeing and then he drew out diagrams and made notes for us so that we could better understand what we're dealing with.
Her heart is enlarged, but not as much as I was led to believe yesterday. Dr. F said that yes, her lungs are slightly smaller than typical, but they're still in a "normal-size" range. Her heart is working, but not how it's supposed to.
Her inferior vena cava is small, but the vein beside the vena cava is slightly enlarged and picking up the slack so he doesn't see that as a problem.
Norah has some heterotaxy (some organs *may* be disoriented -he doesn't see any, but couldn't see her spleen, so it may actually be missing or in multiple non-working pieces -but he's basing that part of the diagnosis on her heart flow/rhythms & valves) and a large hole in her heart - an atrioventricular canal defect. She'll require some NICU time after birth, but there's no telling how much until we see how her heart works when she's on the outside. She'll need surgery to repair the hole by the time she's 6 months old. Dr. F said from what he's seeing, she should be fine until she's 4-6months before needing surgery, which is ideal, but again, it's something we have to evaluate after she's here. Surgery will be at Children's in Boston.
I'll deliver at either UMass or Brigham & Womens - right now, my care is being transferred to Umass, but I'm not sold on my new OB. She didn't seem to like my opinions (like not wanting to schedule a c/s based on Jordan's shoulder dystocia & being due 2 days after Thanksgiving o_O) and seemed to feel like it had to be her way or no way (Nick needs to be at appointments, whenever she can 'fit me in').

I see my OB tomorrow to say good-bye and get my records. I'm back at UMass on Tuesday for a BPP (which Nick just asked if it was the dildo cam b/c he thought bpp stood for bionic penis probe -- I love my husband, he can always make me smile!), so I have to cancel the NST with the MFM I saw yesterday.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment