Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

CVS. No, not the pharmacy

Today I had a CVS test done. CVS, or Chorionic Villus Sampling, is a procedure were they take some cells from the edge of the developing placenta to test for chromosomal abnormalities. I had it done abdominally which means that a 20 gauge need was inserted into my abdomen, through my uterine wall and into the placenta where it was "bounced" until a large enough sample was obtained. I made it through with less pain than I was expecting, but I highly doubt I'll be making shoving needles into my ute a habit any time soon.

I also got some early results from my sequential screen. My original risks, as a 27 yo healthy woman were 1 in 660 for Down's Syndrome and 1 in 6600 for Trisomies 13,18. My actual risks, based on blood work, are 1 in 25 for Down's and 1 in 2500 for Trisomies 13,18.

I have to have another blood draw in the morning to screen for Tay-Sachs, again. I had 2 draws done while carrying Belle and were both in-conclusive. I could have sworn the 2nd was negative, but I guess I was wrong. (SEE THAT DH?!? I ADMITTED BEING WRONG. ON THE INTERWEBZ. WHERE ANYONE CAN SEE IT)

So that's where we are right now. Waiting for test results and hoping and praying and carrying on.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment